Happy new year!
2020 was quite a year for all of us. A deadly pandemic swept across the land, nations continued to fight, global censorship increased, and we did our best to continue with our every day lives despite all of it. It was a tough year, but we made it through and must start looking toward the future.
2021 was off to a rough start, but Random Thoughts is ready.
Random Thoughts Year Review
We learned a lot at Random Thoughts this year and it really shows:
- We redesigned the website using a new theme
- Moved away from Google Analytics in favor of the open source Matomo Analytic
- Started using a self-hosted and privacy respecting comment system
- Started an email news letter
- Wrote several articles on claiming your digital freedom including:
- And, most importantly, we found a direction for Random Thoughts (More on that bellow)
Our Direction for the New Year
We have always been passionate about digital privacy and freedom. Unfortunately, many of our posts didn’t reflect this view. We recommended Google services in our Introduction to Computers series, for example, instead of services like DuckDuckGo and ProtonMail. We are working on changing that this year. 2021 is going to be focused on privacy, digital freedom, and open source technology.
We are going to revisit our introduction to computers series with guides for services like ProtonMail, NextCloud, and DuckDuckGo, as well as alternative operating systems like Linux and CalyxOS. We want to provide you with the tools you need in these surveillance heavy times we live in.
Have a wonderful 2021.